Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Men of Steel - I think not!

I had a brush with mortality the other day. To be precise the mortality of a kid on a bike (a Honda cup 110cc) who zipped right in front of my car as I was making a left turn after the traffic light on the turning lane. He served, skillfully avoiding my car and maneuvered his bike as if he was cutting corners in MotoGP and ended up onto the pedestrian walk.

I almost killed him.

Or so the thought did flash in front of me. Strange though, I thought I would be angry at him for almost denting my pristine driving machine when he pulled the stunt. The anger only came later when I saw his smug look as he stopped at the pedestrian corner.

He stopped, turned and clearly avoiding any eye contact with me to check out the traffic behind and sped off. To his side, a dumbfounded, jaw's clearly dropped to the ground pedestrian who bore witnessed to the Evel Kneivel stunt.

What is it exactly with motorcyclist? Do they think they are made of steel?? Clearly not, as just today as I was reading the news, 2 motorcyclists died over the weekend. One a rider and the other a pillion rider.

Perhaps it is the thrill of having a 110 horsepower and metal grasped between their thighs which may have an effect on testosterone production. In short, give them the balls to do the stuff they do.

Riding a bike, is thrilling I must say. But shouldn't there be some form of self control when one i riding down a busy highway or when one is having an innocent (thrill sharing) party behind? I am guessing most do but a few don't. Also, on 2 wheels, don't you think that the tire grip versus high speed does not work hand in hand? On top of that, in a rainy country where puddles can easily form on roads would deter people from going at too high a speed. Sadly, some don't think so.

For they think they are invincible. Supermen. Men of steel. Sadly, though when they do fall, it usually end up proving them wrong. From smug speed demons to whimpering cry babies as they feel the pain, see the blood they spilled and carnage they can leave behind all due to their stupidity.

No comments: